Just in and details coming soon!! We are pleased to offer for sale this gorgeous 1938 Cadillac 75 Series, Fleetwood Bodied Convertible Coupe, Style 38-7567, Body Number 20 of 44 produced, Vin No. 3271124. A complete body-on restoration, to concours standards but intended also for touring.
A brief history of the car: Built in Detroit and shipped by truck to the South Chicago Cadillac Agency where it was sold. It did not spend a lot of time in Chicago, as the owner found a business card in the trunk when the restoration was started from a tailor shop near Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles with a telephone number of WA-0691 (dates to the 1950's). Ed Gunther a long-standing member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club remembers this car being for sale in L.A. back in the 60s. It was sold and Ron VanGelderen restored the car the first time and it was awarded a Senior Badge from CCCA, #697 back in 1975. It was also the cover car for the January 1986 issue of the Self Starter with an accompanying story of the car.
Dick Haeberle from New Jersey owned the car which was sold in 1992. It then bounced up to New York for a while owned by Vurdede Pomery who sold it in 2000 and the present owners purchased it on Feb 15th, 2003 from Randy Hall of Saratoga CA. Randy had purchased the car while he was restoring his 1938 75 Series Convertible Sedan. The car at that point was somewhat drive-able and in need of a total redo. Shortly after that the ten year nut & bolt restoration began.
Features of the car: To put it mildly this is one massive automobile with a 141-1/2 wheelbase. All 75 (V-8s) and 90 (V-16s) series Cadillacs in this era were on the same chassis and almost identical custom built Fleetwood bodywork. They were offered in many different custom built body styles, the majority being seven passenger sedans This is one of two non-side mounted 75 Series convertible coupes made in 1938.
New features for 1938 were, the gearshift was moved from the floor to the steering column. Also new for 38 was the fact that there was no longer a rumble seat on this model, instead there were two jump seats behind the main seat giving this car a trunk that is almost seven feet deep! The car is equipped with the following options: pleated (or tufted) main seat, a working master radio with a cowl mounted antenna, very rare script Cadillac 6 diameter amber fog lights, a cowl mounted heater-defroster unit, full wheel discs, two outside rearview mirrors and the correct car jack and period tool kit. There is also an original, never used key case from the delivering dealer!
Additional features that have been added for safety and comfort are: a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit for better drivability (as the only rear end ratio offered was a 4.58), two period correct Harrison under seat heaters for greater comfort while motoring with the top down. These units became an option for Cadillac about two years later, front seat extenders moving the seat further back and tilting it back also giving a much more comfortable driving position, a master dis-connect electrical switch, a Pertornix solid state ignition system, two lap style seat belts, 5 Michelin radial tires with the sidewalls buffed clean, self-cancelling turn signals that are incorporated into the fog lights and rear lights, a special tonneau cover for the entire rear compartment in addition to the regular tonneau , The convertible top is lined for greater comfort, a concealed period motorcycle siren, an enameled CLC badge on the grill as well as a small enameled Saint Christophers badge on the dash, two flag stanchions on the front bumper, two vinyl cases for the engine side panels (should they be removed in very hot weather, and an electric fuel pump to aid in starting after the car has been sitting for long periods of time.
The engine block and its internal parts are from a 1948 Cadillac (this was the engine that was in the car when we purchased it. All other parts of the entire engine are period correct. This practice of swapping the 346 Cu. In. engine was very common as Cadillac made this same engine from 1936 through 1948.
The restoration was completed about two years ago and the car has been driven about 1,690 miles. It has been shown three times winning first place awards each time. The LaConner Classic in 2016 where it won Best in Show and last summer at the Forrest Grove Concours in Forrest Grove Oregon where it took Best in Class and also the Jerry Hanauska Memorial Award.
During the restoration every part of the car was gone over and brought back to original or better than original condition. Where there were minor rust outs or fiberglass all areas were cut out and new steel patch panels put in. The old pieces were saved. There were no corners cut anywhere on this car. The paint is a PPG single stage acrylic enamel for ease of repairs. The wheels were powder coated in a similar color of the leather interior.
The outcome of the restoration was above my expectations, it not only looks absolutely beautiful, its drives amazing well for an eighty-year-old automobile. Bumps are hardly noticed while driving. The choice of colors are extremely pleasing and blend very well. Everything on the car is fully functional including the clock and the 6-way adjustable headlights!
There are numerous photos of the car during the entire restoration. This magnificent automobile is ready to be shown at any show through any club, or simply driven where ever one wishes to go with complete confidence. A complete file of receipts will accompany the car.
For more information, please call, text or email us at 1.602.245.7200 or email Harry Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.