150 bhp, 346 cu. in L-Head V-8 engine with four speed Hydra-Matic transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase 129”.
When Cadillac resumed production of the passenger cars after World War II, it advertised them as “Battle Powered” with “Victory” engines. All automobile manufacturers halted their assembly lines by February 1942 but none of them remained idle very long. All factories were converted to manufacture material, but while most companies made aircraft parts or guns, Cadillac had the enviable position of keeping its engine production going in order to turn out tanks. Cadillac’s first M5 tank was delivered to the army in April 1942, being powered by two Cadillac V-8’s with Hydra-Matic transmissions, with one driving each track. In all the divisions built six types of tanks and gun carriers accumulating to some 12,000-fighting vehicle by the time hostilities ended in 1945.
Having its engine plant up and running gave Cadillac an advantage when automobile manufacture was allowed to resume with its first 1946 model which was built on October 17, 1945, being on of the earliest at GM. Just as the 1946 models were a modest makeover of the pre-war ‘42s, the 1947s that were introduced that January were a subtle freshening of the ‘46s. There was more brightwork and modest grille and trim changes. The bold “egg crate” grille had one fewer horizontal bar and parking lights became small round units unless optional fog lamps were ordered. Rear fender shield which were rubber on the ‘46s were now made of stainless steel. Particularly noticeable were the large optional “Sombrero” wheel covers. These were so named for their resemblance to the iconic Mexican hat with their deep-dish brim and raised center section with the red Cadillac crest. These quickly became a favorite of hot rodders as well as Cadillac owners and it remained on the parts list in the 1950’s. Hydra-Lectric window lifts became standard equipment in 1947 on Series 75 Fleetwoods and the Series 62 Convertible which was the only soft-top. Convertible production of 6,755 cars in 1947 helped Cadillac’s total sales of 61,926 surpass Packard as the best-selling American luxury car.
This Cadillac is undoubtedly the finest example on the market today. It received a rotisserie restoration with attention paid to every nut and bolt. Everything has been completed to better than factory original. The top and interior were completed by well-respected trimmer, Leo Mosier. This car received 100 points by CCCA and a top score of 400 points by AACA.
This car was purchased by its original owner Henry Reizes of Glen Cove, NY in 1947, its second owner, Fred Compass purchased it 22 years later. The current owner obtained this car in 2000 and drove it for a few years prior to its extensive and thorough restoration. It is truly an exquisite automobile and will give its new owner many miles of driving pleasure. No detail was left unfinished from the excellent cloisonné work on the Cadillac emblem to the rare window snaps on the convertible top.