Only 2 owners in the past 58 years! Stored for some 39 years,withenginestarted regularly, then pasted on toprevious owner whorescued in 1999 and performed a complete cosmetic restoration to the exterior paint, interior upholstery,chrome, and necessary mechanical improvements!Showing only 79,700 original miles, it continues tosurvivein remarkably solid condition!
Largely considered Americas #1 large scale producers of luxury automobiles, Packard Motor Car Company offered numerous body styles, including trucks, to ensure it had a product for every buyer. By 1930, the elegant designs of Packard were well known throughout the world. Classic lines consisting of sculpted fenders united by running boards, forward upright radiator, perfect amount of chrome plated accessories, all in combination with sturdy chassis and one of the most reliable drivetrains in the industry! It made for an outstanding vehicle that stemmed the motto by Packard President & GM, James Macauley, Just Ask a Man Who Owns One. Today, they remain one of the most sought after pre-war collectibles to own and enjoy!
Offered here is a 1930 Packard Standard Eight 726 5-passenger Sedan finished in classic Dark Blue with accenting Black fenders, and Gray Cloth interior. This outstanding example comes with a nicely documented ownership history, first owned by Floyd Adelbert Pearce, director of Torrington Company in Torrington, CT manufacturer of sewing needles and roller bearings. It was later sold to Joseph H. Pothier and his son, Wilford A. Pothier, who were farmers also based in Torrington, CT. It was then traded to long-time Packard & Lincoln car collection, Richard Cantwell, of Canton, CT in 1960. He would park this Packard in his barn, totally original, for the next 39 years. He would routinely start the car every 1-2 months to preserve the engine, but 4 decades of storage allowed the balance of the car to age as you would expect. Although rarely selling anything from his collection, Mr. Cantwell decided to sell this Packard to his longtime friend in 1999, Edward Rosado who always wished to restore it to its former glory.
Powered by its all original 320ci L-Head Straight 8 engine producing 90 horsepower, 3-speed manual transmission, and 4.37:1 rear axle ratio. Options include dual side-mounted spares with rearview mirrors, deluxe hood ornament, radiator grill guard, Yankee fog lamps & driving light, rear auxiliary trunk, artillery style steel wheels wrapped in Lester Tire Co 6.00/6.50-20 wide whitewall tires, cowl vent, aftermarket Olympic hot water heater, Jaeger dash clock, and more! Mr. Rosado took meticulous photos of the car when it finally got to see the light of day after four decades, and proceeded to complete a total cosmetic restoration to include a bare metal repaint of the body, all new interior with rebuilt seat springs, all new window glass, re-chromed bumpers & other components in the year 2000, along with long overdue maintenance to the mechanicals. This included upgrading to an electric fuel pump, rebuilt water pump, boiled out the radiator & fuel tank, new Flying Lady radiator cap, new belts & hoses, fresh tires, adjusted the brakes, replaced exhaust system, repacked wheel bearings, and changed all fluids in the drivetrain. His proud Packard possession would go on to be used in weddings, Packard Club meets, parades, confirmations & baptisms, and family picnics over his 18 years of ownership! Today, the odometer reads 79,791 miles which we believe to be accurate. This represents a great opportunity for someone wishing to enjoy an entry-level Packard with a remarkable history. Please feel free to call with additional questions. We appreciate your interest!